- Design leader, mentor, and speaker with a penchant for innovation and operationalizing
- Strong passion for supporting the UX community, advocating for design, and teaching advanced UX topics
- 15+ year background in UX, accessibility, design, and quality assurance
Manager, Product Design
10/2018 – present
Citrix, Santa Clara, California
Currently, I manage design projects on the Intelligence and Automation area of Citrix Workspace. I oversee five designers and hired seven designers and two managers for our team.
I established several operational processes, playbooks, and road shows on topics such as hiring and onboarding; career development; managing at Citrix; working with product design; and story pointing for designers. I increased the design team’s presence and participation within the SAFe framework. Subsequently, it’s pushed design’s role beyond being a shared service and we could mobilize around design-led experiences.
I led the creation of our end-user design system, including establishing a cross-functional governance process for components and patterns. Currently, I facilitate its maintenance. From time-to-time, I roll up my sleeves to contribute usage guidelines and accessibility solutions.
To keep us nimble, I challenge designers to drive innovation through new tools, methods, and processes; yet balance what’s realistic and how to work toward an iterative path. I’ve taught the team advanced topics like designing for accessibility and localization best practices. I foster our team’s culture through social efforts such as Studio Fridays, hangouts, and more.
I demonstrate a high-level of organizational agility through forming solid cross-functional relationships. As a result, all parties go the extra mile to provide great user experiences.
Principal Product Designer
10/2017 – 10/2018
Citrix, Raleigh, North Carolina
Lead Product Designer (8/2014 – 10/2017)
In these roles, I led high-profile product and feature innovations. I’m able to strategically scale the design from an MVP and from small business to enterprise. I served as the team’s accessibility expert, where I conducted audits, provided tactical and strategic approaches, and collaborated with engineers to create accessible solutions.
I understood complex, technical/enterprise requirements with the aptitude to design simple user experiences for them. It allowed me to provide thoughtful, strategic solutions, where I could negotiate feature requirements and advocate for design best practices. I led by example with UX activities (workshops, ideating, sketching, critiquing, wireframing). On several occasions, I was selected to create video pitches, present concepts, and conduct demos at company all-hands and executive leadership meetings. I also conducted three due diligence evaluations for company acquisitions.
My projects included: integrations, mobile apps, responsive web apps, onboarding/first-time use, enterprise features, design system, product innovations.
Senior User Experience Strategist
11/2012 – 8/2014
Rock Creek Strategic Marketing, Chevy Chase, Maryland
I led, mentored, and collaborated with colleagues on UX strategies, viable solutions for project challenges, and speaking engagements. Since many clients were new to UX, I guided them through our process and educated them on methods, activities, and deliverables. On projects, I identified, developed, and implemented relevant UX activities along the entire redesign process. I collaborated with the Development Director on bid proposals, where I scoped out UX work.
Internally, I identified pain points and found ways to improve in-house practices. I also created a multi-device test plans for responsive sites and content management systems.
My clients included: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Education Pioneers, Employee Benefits Security Administration, Export-Import Bank of the U.S., U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, and more.
UX Designer / Quality Assurance Specialist
11/2012 – 8/2014
Rock Creek Strategic Marketing, Chevy Chase, Maryland
In this role, I created graphics/UIs for training applications and tested those products. Our clients were government agencies, which meant accessibility was required of our deliverables.
I tested web sites/apps, PDFs, and videos for accessibility. Because of my expertise, I created accessible content (e.g., tagging PDFs, writing captions and video descriptions). To scale this support and reduce bug fixes, I taught writers, designers, and developers how to incorporate accessibility requirements in their process.
Complete work history can be found on LinkedIn.
Master of Science Degree in Interaction Design and Information Architecture
University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, December 2011.
- Thesis Project/Paper: Mobile Technology for Non-profits: Harnessing the Power of Crowdsourcing.
Certificate in Interactive Multimedia
The George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia, May 2002.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Ed. focus
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, May 1999.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Online course: “Understanding UX/UI Design for Accessibility: Design an accessible web page!” Skillshare, April 2019.
- Presentation: “Product Design Best Practices & Tools for Localization”
- UX Y’all 2018, Raleigh, North Carolina, October 2018.
- UXPA International 2018, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, June 2018.
- Presentation: “Mentorship: Add Value to Your Career, Workplace, and UX Community” with A. Wirtanen and J. Bond.
- UXPA International 2017, Toronto, Canada, June 2017.
- UXDC 2017, Washington, D.C., April 2017.
- Triangle UXPA Community Event. Raleigh, N.C., April 2017.
- Poster: “A Case Study with Citrix ShareFile: Advocating for Information Architecture in Product,” with P. Desai, IA Summit 2016 Poster Night. Atlanta, Georgia, May 2016.
- Workshop: “The UX Portfolio Workshop: Roll Up Your Sleeves, We’re Getting Past ‘Portfolio Creator’s Block,’” UXDC, 2015.
- Presentation: “Un-siloing Your Project Team with Collaborative Sketches and Digital Prototyping” with K. Kuhl and I. Lestari, Drupalcon Austin. Austin, Texas, June 2014.
Many of my slide decks are available on my Speaker Deck page.
- Operationalizing at scale
- Employee development
- Organizational agility
- Systems thinking
- Design systems
- Interaction Design
- Information Architecture
- User discovery
- Audits and evaluations
- Workshop facilitation
- Information visualization
- Usability testing
- Quality assurance testing
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Assistive technology in default operating systems; JAWS
- Founder and organizer, exploreUX, Washington, D.C. and Raleigh, N.C.
- Director of Mentorship, Triangle UXPA (2017-2019).
- Co-Director of Community Events, Triangle UXPA (2015-2017).
- Member, Diversity Team, Citrix Raleigh Office (2017-2018).
- Member, User Experience Professionals Association.
- 3rd Place – 2019 Raleigh Tech Fair – Personal Reminder Notifications
- 1st Place – 2018 Raleigh Tech Fair – Citrix Workspace Push Notifications
- “Best Effective In-House Design Team,” 2014 Design for Experience Award.
Interests / Activities
- PADI Divemaster
- Outdoor enthusiast
- Tour manager for Pilfers